Sunday, December 14, 2008

Songwriting - Finding Your Niche

Now, I just want to start by saying that I am by no means a prolific songwriter, in fact I am hardly one at all. Aside from this, I found it necessary to blog about it, because I couldn't call myself a musician without at least talking about it.

Songwriting (as expressed in the title), is all about finding your niche. You obviously have to do what works best for you, and most importantly stick with it. If you're a better lyricist than a melody creator, work with the lyrics first. If you're better at working with a melody and then shaping lyrics around that melody afterwards, do that. It's that simple. I, personally, am a better lyricist and tend to write poetry more often than songs. That doesn't mean, however, that I cant come up with a quick melody myself. The biggest aspect of the process, I've been learning, is finding inspiration. Simply listening to a favorite artist or even just reading some lyrics could be enough, and sometimes it's all you need. Hell, you can even try and emulate an artist's style, if that's what works best for you. I'll touch more on songwriting in the future, so keep checking back.


Sing On...

Nick

1 comment:

  1. I totally feel ya, Nick!

    I am a better lyricist...when I have everything written out I sit down with my guitar and strum out some chords and sing the melody =]

    -jourdanjustine

    ReplyDelete